Thursday, January 29, 2009

I've been working mostly with fish lately. I don't know if I should record their deaths. As I said about the herring, there is little ceremony or emotion involved. I don't hold their hands or look into their eyes. It just happens. However, for the sake of completeness I feel the need to mention the schools of pacific cod and halibut that were euthanized yesterday because they had been exposed to a non-native species during testing and couldn't be re-introduced to the local population. I don't know how many of them there were - I didn't count. Their bodies will be used for school children, so they can dissect them and learn about biology. I suppose it is some consolation that their deaths were not complete wastes. Perhaps a child will be inspired to learn about the oceans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think fish do count. Thanks for posting the entry here. Actually, thanks for the whole endeavor. I read every entry you post. It reminds me of how remarkable life is... and how mysterious death is... If I turn out to be a cat who has to be put down in the next life I lead, I hope there will be someone like you there to hold my paw and look into my eyes.

Sarah

1/29/2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not sure if fish count either...When my fish have died in the past, I was wistful, but lacked the same attachment as I had with my cat when he died.
That being said, it's good to hear from you, and to hear that you at least mention fish too. It's comforting to know that euthanisation isn't a as cold of a process as it could be.

1/29/2009  
Blogger Majel said...

I just discovered this blog, and I'm about to start school to become a vet tech, so I hope that helps me sound less immature when I ask: how exactly do you euthanize a crab or fish?

I also feel that it is important to be as humane as possible when faced with the difficult task of ending a life. That said, I understand the struggle with being less emotionally involved with the lives of animals such as fish...

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

3/07/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home